$20 CAD, includes written & photo set up instructions & all files for 10 puzzles, 10 hint cards, 5 QR code locks, 5 paper key locks & 5 paper keys.
Instant download after purchase. Printable files to set up your own escape room at home for your kids or family. Includes 10 puzzles, 5 paper key locks & 5 QR code locks. Find out if your code is correct using a google form after scanning the QR code with your camera app on your phone.
MISSION: Halloween Treat Street (for Ages 5-7)
You and your friends are out trick-or-treating when you come across an extra spooky house. You are brave enough to go to the door but didn’t know it is Witch Willa’s house. She opens the door and grabs your candy bags and hides them in her safe. She tells you the only way to get your candy back is to fill up HER bag with eight mystery treats from the houses on this street. It’s not as easy as it sounds because each treat is locked up and you need to figure out how to get to them.
Can you fill Witch Willa’s bag with the eight mystery treats and deliver them to her so you can get your candy out of her safe?
WHAT IS INCLUDED & AGES
All printable puzzles, paper keys/locks, hint cards, detailed written instructions & photo instructions are included in the digital files.
10 puzzles designed for kids & families. Any number of players but you will get more turns to do something in a smaller group. Game play is about 30-60 minutes but will vary depending on previous escape room experience.
Age 3-4 might need some adult assistance or hints along the way.
Age 5-7 should be able to do this with very little to no adult assistance.
Age 8+ will probably find this one too easy.
Hint cards are included. These are totally optional but might make it fun if the kid wants to ask for a hint. Parents helping out shouldn’t need the hints to help out.
You are purchasing a digital download to print at home with regular paper & a colour printer.
Clear step by step set up instructions included in written form & with photos.
Halloween Treat Street – an escape room theme especially for kids who love Halloween!
Add Halloween candy for extra fun!
NO LOCKS REQUIRED
*All locks are made of paper.
*Some are QR codes you scan with your smart phone camera app to go to a google form where you will have to enter the correct code to unlock the box.
*Some are matching paper keys to paper locks.
You are welcome to replace paper locks with real locks as long as they are programed to the exact same code as the paper locks. Real key locks can replace paper keys.
Home Escape Game Rules
1. Only search in places when you are told to do so. You don’t want to accidentally find a key or clue too early.
2. If an object (box, bag, envelope, door etc.) has a paper lock on it (key locks or QR code locks), you must get the lock open before opening the object.
3. To open a box (or other object) with a picture of a key, you need to find the paper key that looks EXACTLY the same. Once you have the matching key, you can open the box that has the same key.
4. To unlock QR code locks scan the QR code with your phone’s camera app & click the link to a google form. You can enter your code in the form to see if it’s correct. Once it’s correct, you can open the box.
5. Stay in the game play area. The person who set up the game can tell you which room or rooms the game play area includes.
You will need this to play the game:
1. One smart phone with internet connection.
The faster you finish the game, the more stars you get!
< 30 min = ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
30-45 min = ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
45-60 min = ⭐️⭐️⭐️
60+ min = ⭐️⭐️
Gave up = ⭐️
You will need this to set up:
1. Printer with colour ink & white printer paper
3. OPTIONAL – Paper Cutter – to cut the puzzles faster than scissors.
5. Gluestick (tape or stapler would also work)
6. 10 empty boxes, bags, envelopes, pencil cases, suitcases, doors to rooms/cabinets (to lock up & hide clues inside). Any size will work as paper can be folded to fit inside.
7. OPTIONAL: Candy! You can choose to put any type of candy in any or all of the boxes for kids to find as they are playing the game.
You will be hiding paper keys in the following places.
These items can all be in the same room OR you can spread them out around the house.
1. Mat (door mat, bath mat or small area rug)
2. Cat (fake cat or paper cut out*)
4. Stuffed Paper Pumpkin made using one of the printed puzzles.
5. Table (any size)
*If you are not playing this at Halloween time or you just don’t have a cat decoration you can use a printed picture of a cat (included in the file: HalloweenTreatStreetPUZZLES) or any item that has a picture of a cat like tins or any decorations with cat images.
HINTS – 2 ways to play
There are 2 ways to get hints while trying to complete this escape room adventure.
1. Someone is the game master (usually parent, teacher or other adult or older teen). The game master uses the hint/solution sheet provided in the instructions to give hints along the way if needed. The hints can be as big or small as you choose.
2. Use the included hint cards so little to no adult involvement is necessary. If kids are stuck on a puzzle, they flip over the matching hint card to get a hint on how to solve the puzzle. The exact solution is NOT given.
* Only use a hint card when you are REALLY stuck & everyone in the group agrees to use one.
* Maybe make a rule that you can only use a hint after spending at least 5 or 10 minutes on the puzzle.
Set up the Escape Game
** Be sure to complete EVERY step or the game won’t work. ** You can use any room or multiple rooms. You can choose where you hide keys & locked boxes.
STEP 1: Prepare the printed materials.
1. Print all pages of the HalloweenTreatStreetPUZZLES. (22 pages) – you do not need to print the cat picture if you already have a cat to hide the key – you do not need to print the hint cards page if you don’t want to use them or will use a game master instead
2. Cut out the 10 paper locks, 5 paper keys & 10 hint cards.
3. Cut on the dotted lines to split pages into multiple puzzles or pieces for puzzles. (7pages have dotted lines)
4. PREPARE THE STUFFED PUMPKIN: (see photo instructions to see what this looks like)
1. Cut out both large pumpkins close to the edge of the image. Keep the scraps for stuffing.
2. Glue the edges of the pumpkin 3/4’s of the way around to prepare it for stuffing. You could tape or staples if you don’t have gluestick.
3. Put these 2 items inside the pumpkin:
1. Paper pumpkin key
2. Crumple up scraps from 2 pumpkin cut outs to use as stuffing
4. Glue the rest of the way around the pumpkin edge to seal it up. Players will need to rip the pumpkin open to find the key inside.
STEP 2: Set up hint cards (if using them):
1. Fold backwards on the solid line so you can put the words face down on the table & the word HINT & the Puzzle # will pop up.
2. Put all 10 hint cards face down on a table in the play area.
STEP 3: Hide the keys in these specific places.
The play area can include as many rooms as you like. (Living room, kitchen, boot room, front door area, bedroom, etc..)
NOTE: Do NOT put these items inside a room that you are “locking” with a paper lock unless you are sure the room will already be unlocked when the players need the item.
1. Mat – hide the purple vampire paper key under any mat in the play area.
2. Cat – hide the white ghost paper key behind/under a fake cat or paper cut out cat.
3. Mug – hide the green monster paper key in any mug in the play area.
4. Stuffed paper Pumpkin – the orange pumpkin paper key should already be hidden inside the stuffed paper pumpkin as instructed above in STEP 1.
5. Table – tape the white/orange mummy paper key under any table in the play area.
STEP 4: Put the puzzles in the boxes/bags & lock them up.
Detailed instructions included in PDF download.
Puzzle solutions included so a parent can give hints if necessary.