A printable New Year’s Eve escape room for kids and families you can easily set up at home.
$20 CAD, includes written & photo set up instructions & all files for 10 puzzles, 10 hint cards, 5 QR code locks, 5 paper key locks & 5 paper keys.
Instant download after purchase. Printable files to set up your own escape room at home for your kids or family. Includes 10 puzzles, 5 paper key locks & 5 QR code locks. Find out if your code is correct using a google form after scanning the QR code with your camera app on your phone.
The Secret Room at the New Year’s Eve Party – an escape room theme especially for kids who love New Year’s Eve!
All printable puzzles, detailed written instructions & photo instructions are included in the digital files.
10 escape room puzzles designed for kids & families. Any number of players but you will get more turns to do something in a smaller group. Game play is about 30-60 minutes but will vary depending on previous escape room experience.
Hint cards are included. These are totally optional but might make it easier for the kids to work independently without any adult assistance. Or if you are playing with the kids & do not want to see the solution by accident when looking on the parent hint/solution page.
Clear step by step set up instructions included in written form & with photos.
NO LOCKS REQUIRED
*All locks are made of paper.
*Some are QR codes you scan with your smart phone camera app to go to a google form where you will have to enter the correct code to unlock the box.
*Some are matching paper keys to paper locks.
You are welcome to replace paper locks with real locks as long as they are programmed to the exact same code as the paper locks. Real key locks can replace paper keys.
The Secret Room at the New Year’s Eve Party
– Home Escape Game Rules
1. Only search in places when you are told to do so. You don’t want to accidentally find a key or clue too early.
2. If an object (box, bag, envelope, door etc.) has a paper lock on it (key locks or QR code locks), you must get the lock open before opening the object.
3. To open a box (or other object) with a picture of a key, you need to find the paper key that looks EXACTLY the same. Once you have the matching key, you can open the box that has the same key.
4. To unlock QR code locks scan the QR code with your phone’s camera app & click the link to a google form. You can enter your code in the form to see if it’s correct. Once it’s correct, you can open the box.
5. Stay in the game play area. The person who set up the game can tell you which room or rooms the game play area includes.
The Secret Room at the New Year’s Eve Party
It’s New Year’s Eve and you are with all your friends and family at the annual Goodyear Manor New Year’s Eve party. While exploring the mansion, some of you go into the library. A special book catches your eye, “The Countdown.” You go to pull it off the shelf but as soon as you move it a secret door pops open! Your group goes in to check out this hidden space and before you know it, the door closes behind you. It’s dark, but a sign lights up with the words “Solve these puzzles before midnight, or stay forever”. Will you be able to escape?
You will need this to play the game:
1. One smart phone with internet connection.
The faster you finish the game, the more stars you get!
< 30 min = ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
30-45 min = ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
45-60 min = ⭐️⭐️⭐️
60+ min = ⭐️⭐️
Gave up = ⭐️
You will need this to set up:
1. Printer with colour ink & white printer paper
2. Scissors or Paper Cutter
4. 10 empty boxes, bags, envelopes, pencil cases, suitcases, doors to rooms/cabinets (to lock up & hide clues inside). Any size will work as paper can be folded to fit inside.
You will be hiding paper keys in the following places.
These items can all be in the same room OR you can spread them out around the house.
1. Popcorn Bowl (any size, with or without popcorn in it)
2. Table (any size)
3. Door (room or cupboard door will work)
4. Hat (any kind)
HINTS: 2 ways to play
There are 2 ways to get hints while trying to complete this escape room adventure.
1. Someone is the game master (usually parent, teacher or other adult or older teen). The game master uses the hint/solution sheet provided in the instructions to give hints along the way if needed. The hints can be as big or small as you choose.
2. Use the included hint cards. Adults or older kids may need to read the hint out loud for those who can’t read. If kids are stuck on a puzzle, they flip over the matching hint card to get a hint on how to solve the puzzle. The exact solution is NOT given.
* Only use a hint card when you are REALLY stuck & everyone in the group agrees to use one.
* Maybe make a rule that you can only use a hint after spending at least 5 or 10 minutes on the puzzle.
Puzzle solutions included so a parent can give hints if necessary.